Well-being means to be fully born, to become what one potentially is; it means to have the full capacity for joy and sadness, or, to put it still differently, to awake from the half-slumber the average man lives in and to be fully awake - Erich Fromm
Holistic MedicineHealth is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
Hi, my name is Dr Rufina Lam and I work in NSW, Australia, as a holistic medical practitioner with a special interest in Integrative healing.
Firstly, it is important to point out what holistic medicine is.
Holistic medicine is the art and science of healing that addresses the whole person - body, mind, and spirit. The practice of holistic medicine integrates orthodox medicine and complimentary therapies to treat and prevent disease, while most importantly, promoting optimal health. This condition of holistic health is seen as the unlimited and unimpeded free flow of life force energy through the body, mind, and spirit.
Holistic medicine uses safe and appropriate modalities of diagnosis and treatment. It includes analysis of physical, nutritional, environmental, emotional, spiritual and lifestyle elements. Holistic medicine focuses on patient education and full participation in the healing process.
Illness, according to a holistic Doctor, is viewed as a manifestation of a dysfunction of the whole person and is not seen as an isolated event.
Holistic Doctors will use a variety of safe, effective options in diagnosis and treatment of the disease while trying to find the underlying cause rather than just treating the symptoms. These include:
- education for lifestyle changes and self-care
- complementary alternatives
- conventional drugs and surgery
- A Holistic physician will spend as much effort in finding what kind of patient has a disease as much as what kind of disease a patient has.
- Prevention is preferable to treatment and is usually more cost-effective. The most powerful approach evokes the patient's own innate healing capabilities. This is also known as Integrative healing.
- When working with a patient the healing outcomes depends heavily on the quality of the relationship established between physician and patient. A process in which patient autonomy is encouraged.
- The ideal physician-patient relationship considers the needs, desires, awareness and insight of the patient as well as those of the physician.
- Illness, pain and the dying process can be learning opportunities for both patients and physicians.
- Holistic physicians encourage patients to evoke the healing power of love, hope, humour and enthusiasm, and to release the toxic consequences of hostility, shame, greed, depression, prolonged fear, anger and grief.
- Unconditional love is life's most powerful medicine. Holistic Doctors strive to adopt an attitude of unconditional love for patients, themselves and others.
Therefore, wellness is seen as achieving the highest qualities of the physical, environmental, mental, emotional, spiritual and social aspects of the human experience.
Dr Rufina Lam
MHB: MBChB; PG Dip Sport Med;
FRNZCGP; FRACGP; FACNEM